Sunday, July 12, 2009

Computering? Really?

I have had to take a step back and reevaluate my techno geek side. For Mother’s Day the Primary children filled out little questionnaire's about their moms. I found out that I love chocolate cake, like pickles, don’t like corn bread, my favorite song is #2 in the Hymn book, and I am happy when I am dancing. I was also hit with a new revelation that I like to “computer” in my spare time. This computer thing hit me where I live!!! With e-mail, blogging and social networking, attending to house hold duties, and church responsibilities I probably spent more than my fair share of time using the computer.

I recently attended a Relief Society lesson taken from a talk given at the April 2009 Priesthood Session by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “We Are Doing a Great Work and Cannot Come Down.” In this talk President Uchtdorf tells of an airplane that crashed into the Florida Everglades, killing over 100 people. During the final approach, the crew noticed that one green light that indicates whether or not the nose landing gear has extended successfully. The pilots discontinued the approach, set the aircraft into a circling holding pattern over the pitch-black Everglades, and turned their attention toward investigating the problem. They became so preoccupied with their search that they failed to realize the plane was gradually descending closer and closer toward the dark swamp below. By the time someone noticed what was happening, it was too late to avoid the disaster. After the accident, investigators tried to determine the cause. The landing gear had indeed lowered properly. The plane was in perfect mechanical condition. Everything was working properly all except one thing: a single burned-out light bulb. That tiny light bulb that probably cost $.20.

Of course the malfunctioning light bulb didn’t cause the accident it happened because the crew placed its focus on something that seemed to matter at the moment while losing sight of what mattered most.

President Uchtdorf counseled “Set Your Heart on Things That Matter Most. . . Don’t let yourself become distracted from our sacred duties. We cannot and we must not lose focus on the things that matter most.” I asked myself the question “What matters most?” In contemplation of my answer of what matters most I decided I didn’t want to be remembered for my “computering.” He continues on to say, “Sometimes the things that distract us are not bad in and of themselves; often they even make us feel good. It is possible to take even good things to excess.” It is with these words I felt I need to “put away childish things” reevaluate my hobbies and reprioritize and define my motivation behind them. I am grateful for the living Prophets and the counsel they give us to live in the world today!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this message Shannon! I needed to hear it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented the other day, but it didn't stay... I understand, but I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete